Your morning roundup of key UK business news
(Bloomberg) — The market for legal jobs in the UK has been “relatively resilient” over the past few months, international recruitment firm Robert Walters Plc said in a trading update this morning. That’s as hiring at tech firms and in financial services continued to be hit by high inflation and interest rates. Interestingly, Robert Walters saw stronger hiring levels in the UK than its other regions, Asia Pacific and Europe, despite unemployment recently hitting the highest level since 2021.
Key Business News
YouGov Plc: The research firm flagged slower business growth in its largest market, the US — mainly due to technology sector “disruption,” while the UK performed “well” despite the “overall negative” sentiment in the market.
- The London-based firm didn’t give any update regarding possible plans for a New York listing
Kingspan Group Plc: The building materials firm offered to buy Nordic Waterproofing after it crossed the 30% voting rights threshold that triggers a mandatory bid. The offer values Nordic Waterproofing’s shares at about $352 million.
- Last month Kingspan’s early talks with US peer Carlisle Cos. on a potential deal ended, after the Irish company proposed creating a materials giant with a combined market value of almost $30 billion
Defence contractor QinetiQ Group Plc is set to update the market tomorrow. The company’s shares gained with other defence stocks on Monday after a surprise invasion of Israel by Hamas militants set off a war.
Here’s the story of Metro Bank Holdings Plc’s weekend rescue, part of which was hatched from a private-island enclave near Miami known as Billionaire Bunker.
- UK Retailers Struggle as Hot September Delays Winter Spending
- Starmer to Warn Britain Faces Hard Road Back to Growth
- Israel Latest: Top US General Warns Iran to Stay Out of Conflict
For more news and analysis throughout the day, follow the UK Markets Today blog and sign up to the Money Distilled newsletter.
More stories like this are available on bloomberg.com
©2023 Bloomberg L.P.